Wednesday, February 27, 2008

My big fat Greek slideshow . . .



The company retreat in Greece exceeded all expectations. With the exception of the 10 inches of snow they received last weekend which effectively paralyzed the city (Schools were closed for THREE days!), and closed all of the archeological sites we wanted to visit, this Mediterranean country was breathtaking. However, I would spend less time in Athens, and more time island hopping.

Culinary options abound, and one can easily gain a few kilos devouring scrumptious cheese pies, fresh seafood, and sticky-sweet baklava. You might also save some room for the ubiquitous gyros stands, although I thought all true versions of this food would contain lamb meat. It was a bit disappointing to only find the choice of either chicken or pork.

Like most other European countries, the Greeks really know how to make a national beverage, or in this case, a few of them. After you get burnt out on ouzo, try a snifter of some 5 star Metaxa, or the national lager, Mythos. My personal favorite, however, was Tsipouro.

I think I speak for both of us (Luiza too) when I say that our favorite place we visited was the tiny island of Hydra. The unique enclave is home to only 40 year-round residents. No motorized transportation is allowed, so Hydra is also home to around 1,500 burros, and one mysterious bearded harbormaster. It was really nice to be there during the "off-season" as we were sometimes the only ones walking around the island's narrow streets or viewing the sunset from high atop an oceanside bluff.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, so before I reach my limit, you might want to just check out this slideshow. It moves quite fast since I know some of you out there suffer from Adult Attention Deficit Disorder like me. And yes, they really did receive that much snow.

No comments: