Thursday, January 10, 2008

Reader commentary and obscure uses for international students



I would first like to thank the three motivated folks who contributed to my last blog entry with some informed political commentary. One of them even smarmily corrected me on my inquiry about the President of England. The queen of standardized testing, Patricia from Boise, misread the second part of my question. I KNOW that England does not have a prime minister. I should have used the word "leader" in my question, but we here at the Chronicle always appreciate feedback from our readers.

Mike, writing in from Iowa, gave some firsthand insight into the cornfield caucus. I'm sorry that Obama was not able to carry this momentum into New Hampshire and secure a victory. I've talked to a colleague who was home in Iowa over vacation. It was interesting to hear her describe the opportunity to meet politicians on a more intimate basis. I'm not talking Bill Clinton "intimate" here. But she did listen to him speak to an audience of only 200 people. Amazing that some have to pay $1000 for a chicken dinner and some witty commentary from our ex-Prez, and potential First Lady.

Nate, also in Boise, knew that President Sarkozy in France is newly engaged to Italian former supermodel, Carla Bruni. So who's settling in this relationship? Hmmmm. Newly elected French President, age 53 vs. Aspiring singer, heiress to a tire-manufacturing fortune, and former supermodel, age 40. They must have met on match.com. Keep those comments coming readers!

Today I debunked my long-held belief that the Swedish chef on the Muppet Show is only speaking gibberish. On a whim, I decided to show a YouTube clip of the chef to my Swedish speaking students, hoping to find out if Jim Henson did his research when writing lines for one of my favorite muppets. They did confirm that there are actual Swedish words sprinkled in with the unintelligible dialogue. You learn something new every day. Check out this clip of the chef preparing turtle soup. Pure comic genius.

No comments: