Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The summer of surf . . .

Some of you may have heard of the hospitality exchange site, couchsurfing.com, by now. It has been written about briefly in a past entry in the Chronicle, detailing the exploits of those crazy tuxedo travelers.

The month of August in Europe is probably the peak of the travel season. Thus, I have seen a definite upswing in the number of requests to stay on my couches. After the aforementioned penguins, there was a nice couple from New Zealand, Dan and Anna, on their way to Ukraine for a month. They hung out at the flat (maybe I should think of some cool nickname for my place?) for five days while waiting for their visas from the Ukrainian Embassy.

At the same time I was hosting the Kiwis, two lovely French girls, Angeline and Isabelle, came to stay on the other fouton. I learned a lot about French culture, including the fact that teachers in France only have to work (be in front of students)15 hours a week! Fantastique! Also, the country has approved a smoking ban in all public places starting next February. Doesn't everyone think of the average French citizen as someone enjoying a glass of wine and a cigarette at an outdoor cafe on a breezy summer day? And of course, they would be wearing the requisite beret : )

Last week, two fun-loving Swedes, who were the polar opposite of each other came to stay for a couple days. Jerker (the J is pronounced like Y) and Rony were taking a week holiday in Poland and their first stop was Warsaw. Jerker was a clean cut mechanical engineering student, and Rony is not. Rony had a smooth shaved skull, was covered in tatoos, and had a nasty habit of chewing snoose. But, he was a helluva guy who's devotion for his favorite Swedish death metal band, Skitsystem, knows no bounds. In fact he had etched the names of that band and another into his forearm. I'm thinking this display of fanaticism would at least be good enough for backstages passes or a a free Skitsystem fan club membership. When I get back to the states this winter, a heart with "Manilow Forever" is going on my right buttock.

Next, came a couple of girls from Munich, Alissa and Coco. They were entering their last year of high school and at the tender age of 18 were willing to take the risk of staying with this creepy old guy in Warsaw. What parent thinks this is a good idea? I suppose it's just the fact that I have a very trustworthy looking face, right?

1 comment:

Danielle said...

The picture they saw must of been before the shiner, yes? I hope the start of school went well, you were starting school and I sent out progress reports. Hmmmmm....I like your deal a bit better.