Thursday, February 22, 2007

Need laser, won't travel.


This week is winter break, otherwise known as "Ski Week" at ASW since a lot of families use this time to head for the mountains. It would have been nice to do this too but I had intentions of getting LASEK surgery on Tuesday and using the rest of the break to let my eyes heal.

Some have said that I'm a little crazy for trying to get the procedure done here in Poland but this country is becoming a new hotbed of "medical tourism" i.e. all the rich folks from Western Europe are coming here to get inexpensive cosmetic surgery performed (cheap boob jobs and Botox). Anyway, I'm sitting here typing this while wearing my glasses since I didn't qualify for the surgery. The reason being that my corneal peak is not symmetrically centered over the focus of my pupil resulting in a negative Kappa angle. Yeah, I didn't quite understand this either especially when explained through a thick Polish accent. There is some sort of advanced wavefront technique used to remedy this situation but with discretion being the better part of valor, I've decided to wait for a second opinion back in the States.

This has left me in a bit of a funk since valuable traveling time was devoted to a surgery that never happened. The highlight of my break has been a trip to Polish purgatory . . . yes, that's right, I went to IKEA. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I also rearranged my furniture. I'll spare you the exciting details.


So, not much to report here from Poland this week. I think I'm going to jump on a train tomorrow morning and head to Torun, birthplace of Mikolaj Kopernik a.k.a. Nicolas Copernicus, the father of heliocentric theory. For those who slept through high school physics, he's the guy who came up with the radical idea of placing the sun, rather than the Earth, at the center of the universe. At least you can learn something by reading this blog.


Speaking of the center of the universe, it's good to see that the major headlines back home this week are the custody / paternity battle for Anna Nicole Smith's child and Britney Spears' shaving her dome. Now that's hardhitting journalism about issues that matter!

Thanks for reading . . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I shouldn't brag about how beautiful Istanbul was....... 60 degrees, sun, boat rides up to the Black sea...

Did Starzy win???

Anonymous said...

Too bad about the eye surgery, for the comments women make and you've made, it would have been nice to have crystal clear vision, whether it be the 10 in the morning or 4:30 am on the bus...Hope Copernicus teaches you something to utilize with the kids, if not I have this high tech demonstration with a flashlight and balloons to help illustrate, simply let your fire survior know. Take care,
Bob