Tomorrow is Father's Day, and frankly, I can't remember the last time my dad and I were together on this occasion. This would not sit well with most, and I do feel regret that I can't be sitting with Dad in a boat on some serene Minnesota lake enjoying the porketta sandwiches my mother so lovingly prepared. In fact, as I write this, my two brothers, Paul and Dave, are out fishing with him and, I hope, reeling in a mess of walleye to be stored in the freezer until I arrive in August.
As anybody who lives far away from home can attest, you have to remind yourself that your parents want you to spread your wings and build a life for yourself. If that wasn't the case, I would be living in a basement apartment back in Hibbing with my extensive Stars Wars action-figure collection. I'm also certain that I wouldn't enjoy the relationship I have now with my folks. It's ironic that the farther I've moved away, the closer we've become.
The greatest joy I've felt since moving here was the opportunity shepherd my parents and Dave around Poland for almost three weeks and get them safely back to the states. I had this tremendous sense of pride that I was able to do this for two people who have given me so much throughout life. It was almost like that "Look at me, Dad!" feeling you get when you learn how to ride a bike, catch a pop fly, or yes, reel in your first fish. I could tell that they knew I was going to be alright over here after all.
On Father's Day tomorrow, don't forget to tell your Dad what he means to you. Too often we spend so much time seeking his approval that we forget to tell him how proud we are of the things that he has done. But more importantly, tell him how much you value him as a person, role model, and a friend. I love you Dad.
1 comment:
Dare I say Mark, this entry brought a slight tear to my eye...so eloquently put, my friend. Yet another way you make your father so very proud of you.
Post a Comment