Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Fall break in Mazury



The Kielbasa is on holiday this week up in northern Poland, enjoying the explosion of fall color and solitude of a cabin in the woods. My friend Murph was generous enough to invite me along for a week-long retreat to the Mazury Lake District. The parents of one of his past students have given him anytime access to their private lake house for the last couple years.

I know Murph is one "helluva" kindergarten teacher but he must work some serious magic because this place is truly spectacular. The house (and stable for the horses) sits on a private lake surrounded by 80 acres of forest. Not a bad place to kick back, eat a lot of fried food and down some piwo.

As always, there was no shortage of unusual scenery in the rural Polish countryside. For fans of "The Food Bus" back in Warsaw (see January entry "Late Night Grub"), some enterprising purveyors of roadside homecooking bring you . . . The Food Jet! I am not kidding. On the way up here, we passed an old passenger jet converted into a fully operational cafe. It was closed on Sunday but I think a visit on the way back home must be done. I will keep you posted . . . thanks for reading.

No comments: