
The exhaustion from my own version of The Amazing Race last weekend has finally worn off. Seeing four cities in four countries in four days was certainly an ambitious travel schedule but I had company in from Canada so I wanted to make sure we had plenty to do. Nobody wants to see the same museums, churches, and pubs for ten straight days. I'm a bit of a novice at this amateur travel agent stuff but I think it's better to have too much stuff to see than too little.
Tracy, my guest from Ottawa, and I flew into Vilnius, Lithuania last Thursday night to begin the long weekend. After spending the chilly spring day wandering around the city visiting everything from the castle tower overlooking the city, to Frank Zappa's head on a stick we had a great dinner at the Crowne Plaza where we were staying.

One of the great things about the post-communist economy is that prices for upscale hotels are still relatively inexpensive. A guy like me, who would never be able to stay in luxury digs back in America, can afford to splurge once in awhile here.
One of the highlights in Vilnius was ducking into this non-descript alleyway and finding this local bar staffed by an aged babushka and her son who seemed a few cards short, in our opinion. But then again, I've probably had the same said about me.

He was more than happy to spend some time watching "Pimp My Ride" with Latvian subtitles and occasionally pour me a pint into a glass which looked unused for months. The chances of my companion getting herself a nice glass of red wine were zero but I think she enjoyed her local concoction.
Arriving by bus in Riga, Latvia the next afternoon, we saw a definite contrast from sleepy little Vilnius. Riga was a much more cosmopolitan city bustling with youthful energy. The narrow, Prague-like streets wound between Art Nouveau style buildings in the Old Towne section. Enormous palaces of worship seemed to dot every block. The Russian Orthodox churches in Eastern Europe are amazingly ornate not just for their towering golden domes, but also the brilliantly colorful murals contained inside.

Ending the day with a spectacular view of the sunset from the Skyline Bar atop our hotel, we were both sorry our time in Riga was coming to a close. The next morning arrived much too quickly and before we could wipe the sleep from our eyes, we were on a bus to Tallinn, Estonia. Forunately, we commandeered the area in the back and dozed off while sprawling across six seats, only awaking for the requisite bathroom break in rural Latvia and for passport approval into our next country.
The place we booked in Tallinn gave me a newfound appreciation for renting a flat instead of a hotel room the next time you need accomodations overseas. There's just something more welcoming about having your own kitchen, washing machine, and living room for use during your stay. Granted, I think the only thing we used was a knife and some glassware but had I the desire, it's nice to know I could've whipped up a four course meal.
Estonia had a Scandinavian feel to it given it's proximity to Finland. Prices were a bit higher and clothing a bit furrier. I was tempted to acquire a genuine reindeer-skin viking helmet as a memento but that impulse quickly faded when faced with the outrageous pricetag. It looked quite festive but how often in daily life does dress code call for barbarian headgear?
Chances of me attending a Minnesota Vikings' game were already slim before I moved to Poland. I believe they have to be in the playoffs to play in the month of December when I'm home for Christmas. The odds of that happening are longshot at best. Sorry Grandma, I know you're a big fan. At least the Twins have started their season.After spending Easter in Tallinn wandering around the city, up the hill to the castle and visiting the "Barbie dream house" presidential palace,
we spent the last evening of the long weekend curled up on the couch enjoying cheese and wine before heading out to a recommended seafood restaurant nearby. The food was delicious, but we were exhausted. The fact that it was Easter Sunday meant that their was no chance to check out the nightlife in the old town. I'm not sure I would've had the stamina to explore the evening culture of Estonia, anyway. Our journey to Helsinki the next morning was a ride aboard the Super Seacat fast jet ferry. It was a fierce looking vessel but the irony was not lost upon seeing souvenir t-shirts bearing a picture of the boat and the mascot; a threatening long-haired tabby cat.
I presumed that the boat was owned by a devoted pet owner who acquired it only after losing his beloved seafaring feline in a tragic yachting accident. Who else would name a multi-million dollar cruiser after a fluffy land-loving mammal? There is not much to say about Helsinki. Picture any big city and then put a Finnish flag on top of every building. That's about it. In fact, I stole the picture from National Geographic's website.
I just couldn't find anything quintissentially "Finnish" about the city. However, I am proud to say that I achieved one of my life dreams there . . . I took a sauna in Finland. Granted, it was at the Crowne Plaza and we snuck in under the guise of being hotel guests, but all the authentic Finnish saunas were closed for the holiday. The best things in life are still free. The worst thing about Finland is they charge you 1 Euro to relieve yourself in most public places. Now I can see why the place is so clean. The "urination tax" must raise huge amounts of revenue from Finns, a people renowned for their love of alcohol. And I am not just basing this belief on my interactions with Finlanders in northern Minnesota. Last year, alcohol was the leading cause of death among Finnish teens. Alcohol-related dehydration in a sauna can kill you without warning, I guess.
Big things on the horizon . . . my mom, dad, and younger brother Dave are making their first (of many I hope) visit to Polska next week. Also, my first taste of rugby on foreign soil occurs tomorrow when the Warsaw Frogs take on the Wath Warriors Vets and the Maidstone Vets. Both teams are from England so destruction and debauchery will ensue, guaranteed. The pound buys a lot of beer over here.
Thanks for reading!
P.S.
Spring in Warsaw is quite beautiful. See for yourself . . . this picture was taken by Tracy last week in Łazienki Park. This place was featured on the last Amazing Race when they went through Poland, but they didn't show any of the natural beauty in the city's greenspace. Oh well, it keeps out the riffraff.

P.S.S. Here's a cool video about Ice Cricket tournaments in Estonia. Brrrrrr!
1 comment:
-
Very nice Blog report - well written, Thank you.
Mike Johnson, General Manager, Patricia Tourist Office Riga
(A American living in Riga)
Post a Comment